Doc Nolan - The Autobiography Project

 NOTE: Doc requested this be held until after the drawing was over. The Autobiography Project continues in perpetuity and we look forward to everyone sharing about themselves and their regions. 

How long have you been in the virtual world?

 Over 17 years ago, I jumped into virtual reality (Second Life).  It has been a non-stop roller-coaster ride ever since.  I’ve known people who in RL are sociopaths, musicians, artists, convicted criminals, geniuses, published authors, truck drivers, etc.   I have felt a lot of pain and learned of horrors that people shared with me only because they knew we were anonymous and separated by miles -- and often oceans.  Over the years, I have met several people in RL that I first met in virtual worlds.  Online friends have taught me elements of photography, dragged me into RL drawing, asked me to tutor them, and asked me to write short stories and novellas.  People have stretched me! – BUT, burnt out by the intensity of my Second Life, I came to AMV slightly over a year ago and immediately realized that I could escape my virtual madhouse life in SL for a quasi-hermit life.  (I have a lot of RL connections to RL monasticism, Zen, and Benedictine, so that’s not as strange as it might sound.)

What inspired your region?  In RL, I have done a lot of backpacking, and in AMV, I have found a virtual analog to the wildernesses and mountains I once explored in Spain, Colorado, Arkansas, and Texas.  I love wild places, and AMV overflows with empty and quiet places.  I have kept my 4 x 4 essentially unspoiled, with only two tiny buildings tucked into a corner – reminding me of the New Camaldoli Hermitage in Big Sur (California).  It’s a refuge.

 Say something about your photography.  Growing up next door to a palette knife artist, I learned much about composition and color by watching Dr. T. at work.  For years I did a lot of photography – and then stopped.  In Second Life, I was taken under the wing by a couple who encouraged me to resume my photography – this time, though, virtual photography.  Once they introduced me to Flickr,  off I flew.  That led to RL drawing too, but that is another story.

When people visit your region, what is one thing you hope they experience?   I don’t ask people to come to my region, but if they do, that’s fine.  Most would find it empty and perhaps dull, but for me, it is heaven.  Don’t expect any activities or builds, just wildness, and calm.  (My music feed fits the quiet mood.)

 Is there anything else you would like to say?  I don’t socialize in groups very often.  I prefer one-on-one friendships.  (Those tend to become intense).  I worry that I may seem hostile or unfriendly, but mostly I have a lot of things going on and am wound up in projects, dreams, plans, and so on.  I can be very tedious and verbose.  My friends are very patient with me.  








Comments

Popular Posts